FollowMe™ Health Insurance Coverage Summary
Manulife FollowMe™ health insurance plans are conversion health plans, and are designed for people who have recently lost their employee benefits coverage.
As experienced Canadian health insurance brokers it is our mission to find you a conversion plan that best suits your situation.
Please use the following as a concise summary of FollowMe™ health insurance coverage from Manulife Financial.
IMPORTANT: to qualify for a FollowMe plan you must have lost your group benefits coverage within the last 90 days. If it has been longer than 90 days contact us, we can help you find another guaranteed issue health and dental plan.
- Coverage for generic drugs.
- No maximum on shared dispensing fee.
- 80% coverage levels for all plans.
- Yearly maximums: Basic: $500; Enhanced: $1,250; Enhanced Plus: $1,250; Premiere: $2,500.
- Covers the costs for prescription lenses and frames, contact lenses and laser eye surgery.
- Basic plan: $150 per 2 benefit years. $60 for Optometrist visits.
- Enhanced plan: $200 per 2 benefit years. $60 for Optometrist visits.
- Enhanced Plus plan: $200 per 2 benefit years. $60 for Optometrist visits.
- Premiere plan: $300 per 2 benefit years. $60 for Optometrist visits.
Registered Therapists and Specialists
- Coverage for acupuncturists, chiropractors, dieticians, osteopaths, podiatrists, naturopaths, chiropodists, registered massage therapists, physiotherapists, psychologists, psychotherapists, clinical counsellors and speech therapists.
- Covers charges up to the amount between what your government health insurance plan covers and/or what is reasonable and customary. (see the Comparison Chart for more detailed information).
- Lifetime maximums range from $100,000 to $300,000 (depending on the plan).
- Max. number of visits per year (per specialist) ranges from 10 to 12.
Just some of the other things that are covered are listed below (refer to the Plan Comparison Chart for the full details).
- Accidental dental.
- Hearing aids.
- Ambulance services.
- Optional travel medical insurance.
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D).
- No coverage for Basic and Enhanced plans.
- Enhanced Plus and Premiere plans cover:
- 80% of standard services such as exams, fillings, cleanings, scalings and extractions.
- 80% coverage for extensive services such as oral surgery, endodontics, denture services and periodontics.
- Enhanced Plus max./year: Year 1: $700; year 2: $850; 3+ years: $1,000.
- Premiere maximum/year: Year 1: $800; year 2: $1,000; 3+ years: $1,500.
- Only the Premiere plan offer major dental coverage (crowns, bridges, dentures and orthodontics). 60% coverage starting 2nd year.
- The Basic, Enhanced and Enhanced Plus plans provide coverage for semi-private rooms.
- The Premiere plan also offers coverage for private rooms.
- The Basic, Enhanced and Enhanced Plus plans: $175 maximum/day.
- The Premiere plan: $200 maximum/day.
- Cash benefits (in lieu of accommodation) coverage: max./year is $1,500 – $2,000 (depending on the plan).
- Basic plan: 50% for 150 days.
- Enhanced and Enhanced Plus plans: 100% first 60 days; 50% next 90 days.
- Premiere plan: 100% first 100 days; 60% next 90 days.
Homecare/Nursing, Prosthetic Appliances and Durable Medical Equipment
- Following coverage is for each of (per): homecare & nursing; prosthetic appliances; and durable medical equipment.
- Basic plan: year 1: $500; year 2: $750; year 3+: $1,050.
- Enhanced and Enhanced Plus plans: year 1: $1,000; year 2: $1,500; year 3+: $3,000.
- Premiere plan: starting year 1: $3,500.
FollowMe Travel Add-On
For a small additional monthly premium you can get up to $5 million in travel medical insurance coverage. If you’re interested in this travel option please contact us, or indicate this when requesting a conversion insurance quote.
When should I apply or a conversion health insurance plan?
It is extremely important that you apply for a conversion health and dental plan shortly after losing your group insurance coverage. With Manulife FollowMe plans you must apply for coverage within 90 days of losing your group benefits, otherwise you do not qualify for guaranteed coverage.
What if I didn't apply soon enough and don't qualify for coverage?
If you don’t apply with 90 days of losing your benefits then you do not qualify for a Follow Me group conversion health insurance plan. However, you can still apply for a medically underwritten health plan, or alternatively, you can also apply for standard, guaranteed issue health insurance. When in doubt please contact us.
Are there different levels of coverage with Manulife Follow Me plans?
Manulife Follow Me has 4 different levels of coverage (that correspond to the following plans with increasing coverage levels): FollowMe Basic, FollowMe Enhanced, FollowMe Enhanced Plus and FollowMe Premier. For further information click here.